An official website of the United States government

Uniting for Ukraine
August 24, 2022

On April 21, 2022, President Biden announced Uniting for Ukraine, a new streamlined process to provide Ukrainian citizens who have fled Russia’s unprovoked war of aggression opportunities to come to the United States.  This represents a key step toward fulfilling the President’s commitment to welcome Ukrainians fleeing Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.Visit www.dhs.gov/Ukraine for information on how to apply.

21 квітня 2022 року Президент Байден оголосив ініціативу «Об’єднуємось заради України», новий спрощений процес надання українцям, що тікають від неспровокованої загарбницької війни розпочатої Росією, можливостей приїхати до Сполучених Штатів. Це головний крок на шляху виконання зобов’язання Президента приймати українців що біжать від нападу Росії на Україну. Перейдіть за посиланням www.dhs.gov/Ukraine Uniting for Ukraine | Homeland Security (dhs.gov) для інформації стосовно процесу подання документів.


If you are seeking information about immediate humanitarian assistance in Spain or Andorra:

  • Almost all refugee cases in countries abroad are processed by local authorities, in this case the government of Spain or Andorra.
  • Ukrainians should not contact the authorities of the United States or attempt to apply for visas to travel to the United States as refugees–such travel is not possible.  They should contact the authorities of Spain.   Contact information is below.
  • Additional information is available from the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR): https://www.unhcr.org/en-us/, including information about non-governmental organizations that may be able to provide additional assistance.
  • Additional information on Spanish resources is available here:  https://www.inclusion.gob.es/es/ucrania/protecciontemporal/index.htm






If you are a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident with a Ukrainian relative who seeks to travel to the United States on an immigrant visa:

  • If you have a Form I-130 petition approved by USCIS pending processing at the National Visa Center (NVC) and want to transfer it to another Embassy, the designated processing post for Ukrainian Immigrant Visas is U.S. Consulate General Frankfurt, Germany:  https://de.usembassy.gov/ukrainians-in-germany/. You may request an appointment expedite and transfer from the National Visa Center:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/national-visa-center/nvc-contact-information.html
  • If you have not yet filed a petition but wish to do so, you may contact the U.S. Embassy in Madrid to inquire about filing the I-130 petition in Spain.   This applies only to U.S. citizens filing petitions for their spouses, unmarried children under 21, and/or parents.  Both the petitioner and the applicant must be present in Spain or Andorra.  The U.S. Embassy in Madrid processes all immigrant visas in Spain and Andorra.
  • If you have an immigrant visa case that has already been transferred from NVC to Kyiv for processing and you would like it to be processed in Madrid, please send an email request with your case number (KEV+10 digits) to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Madrid:  IVMadrid@state.gov
  • If you are already in Spain or Andorra and have a Form I-130 petition approved by USCIS pending processing at the National Visa Center and want to transfer it to the U.S. Embassy in Madrid, you may request an expedited appointment and transfer from the National Visa Center:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/national-visa-center/nvc-contact-information.html.
  • Diversity Visa (DV) applicants should follow the same guidance as regular immigrant visa cases and will have their unscheduled cases assigned to Frankfurt.  Please check https://dvprogram.state.gov/ for their case’s rank-order and interview status.  To request DV case transfer from the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt to the U.S. Embassy in Madrid, please request reassignment via KCCDV@state.gov.
  • If you have a question about an immigrant visa case that is already in process at the U.S. Embassy in Madrid, please email IVMadrid@state.gov.

If you are a U.S. citizen with a Ukrainian fiancée/fiancé seeking to travel to the United States on a K1 visa:

  • If you have already filed a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that has not yet been approved, U.S. Embassies and consulates cannot accept K visa petitions (Form I-129F) for local filing abroad.  USCIS must first approve the Form I-129F petition before a K-1 visa can be processed.  However, you can request an expedite for USCIS processing at https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-guidance/how-to-make-an-expedite-request



  • Before applying for a nonimmigrant visa, consider carefully whether you are qualified for the visa for which you intend to apply.  Please note that nonimmigrant visas are for temporary stays in the United States and are not for refugees.  There are no nonimmigrant visas available for refugees.  If you apply for a nonimmigrant visa, but do not have credible plans to depart the United States after a temporary stay, your application will be refused.
  • There are no “walk-up” appointments available at U.S. Embassy Madrid.  You must have an appointment in advance to interview for a visa.
  • If you are not qualified for a nonimmigrant visa, you may wish to refer to the humanitarian assistance information above.
  • If you are a Ukrainian who wants to travel to the United States or a U.S. citizen who has friends, business associates, or NON-IMMEDIATE family who want to travel to the United States on a nonimmigrant visa you should go to https://ais.usvisa-info.com/ and schedule your appointment.
  • Demand for visa appointments is extremely high, availability is low, and wait times and processing times are likely to be very lengthy.  You may wish to refer to the humanitarian relief information above.
  • If you already have an appointment at U.S. Embassy Madrid but wish to request an earlier date for an urgent medical or humanitarian reason, you may request an emergency appointment in your account on https://ais.usvisa-info.com/
  • Nonimmigrant visa applications started in Ukraine cannot be transferred to Spain.  A new application fee is required.  To apply for a nonimmigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy in Madrid, please follow the application process at https://ais.usvisa-info.com.
  • If you do not have all your documents available, for example a passport, you may apply without these documents.  A consular officer will inform you of any required next steps as part of the visa decision.