If you are a U.S. citizen in Spain or Andorra who requires emergency assistance, please call the local emergency number, which is 112. This number is available 24/7, toll free, from Spanish and Andorran landline telephones, mobile phones, and public phones. Use this number only in an emergency, such as an accident, fire, urgent medical assistance, assault, robbery, or natural disaster.
For an emergency involving an American citizen requiring embassy or consulate assistance, please call +34-91-587-2200.
Should you become a victim of crime, we can provide certain types of assistance such as: replace your stolen passport, provide you with a list of English-speaking attorneys, and give you general information about navigating the local criminal justice system and local resources (some of these are listed below). Our office can also help you get in touch with your family or friends so that they can assist you.
Consular Officials Cannot:
- Investigate crimes
- Provide specific legal advice or represent you in court
- Serve as official interpreters or translators
- Pay legal, medical, or other fees for you
- Replace a lost/stolen passport
- List of English-speaking medical services providers
- List of English-speaking attorneys
- State.gov (resources for U.S. Citizen Victims of Crime)
- File a criminal complaint online with the Spanish National Police
- File a criminal complaint over the phone with the Spanish National Police (must ratify in person)
Resources for Victims of Crime in Spain
- Office for Victims of Violent and Sexual Crimes, legal, medical, psychological, and compensation assistance (PDF 170K).
- Government Office against Gender-based Violence and toll free 24/7 hotline 016
- Assistance to Victims of Sexual Assault in Madrid: legal, medical, and psychological assistance
- NGO offering Legal assistance and counselling for assistance to Victims of Sexual Assault
- Fundación ANAR, non-profit crisis center and hotline for kids and teenagers in risk situations