Requesting or Reporting a Change of Direct Deposit

Reporting a change of bank for direct deposit, or requesting direct deposit for the first time, can be done in writing, with your signature, and you can also call us (see below).  We no longer accept email reports.

Send your written request to:

U.S. Embassy Madrid
Federal Benefits Unit
Serrano 75
28006 Madrid

Include your name, Social Security Claim Number, and a daytime telephone number where we can reach you if needed. Also, confirm if your address is to remain unchanged.

In addition, we would need your bank details as follows:

For direct deposit in Spain (Euros): The name and address of your bank, and the IBAN of your account.

For direct deposit in the United States (Dollars): The name and address of your bank, the type of account (Savings or Checking), and the Routing Number (RTN) and the Depositors Account Number (DAN) of your account.

You may also report the change by calling the Federal Benefits Unit on +34 91 587 2261, Monday through Thursday between the hours of 10:00 AM and 12:30 PM.  We cannot accept the report from anyone calling on your behalf, except your appointed SSA Representative Payee. The Federal Benefits Unit is closed for telephone calls on the last Friday of every month for internal training purposes. We are also closed on U.S. and Spanish public holidays.

Important: If you are also reporting a change of address, please go to the Reporting Change of Address page.