Reporting a New Address to Social Security

Reporting a change of address can be done in writing, with your signature, or you can also call us.  We no longer accept email reports.

Note: Until you actually apply for benefit payments, we do not keep your current address on record at the Social Security Administration. When we mail your automatic Social Security Statement to you, we use the address provided to us by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Your address will be automatically updated when you file your next U.S. Tax Return or you can correct the address that IRS has on file by completing the Form 8822 and mailing it to IRS – please click HERE to download a PDF of IRS Form 8822 (PDF 244K).

To report a change of address, send your written request, and form SSA-21 if needed (see below), to:

U.S. Embassy Madrid
Federal Benefits Unit
Serrano 75
28006 Madrid

Include your name, Social Security Claim Number, old address, new address, and a daytime telephone number where we can reach you if needed. Also, confirm if your bank details are to remain unchanged.

You may also report the change by calling the Federal Benefits Unit on +34 91 587 2261, Monday through Thursday between the hours of 10:00 AM and 12:30 PM.  We cannot accept the report from anyone calling on your behalf, except your appointed SSA Representative Payee. The Federal Benefits Unit is closed for telephone calls on the last Friday of every month for internal training purposes. We are also closed on U.S. and Spanish public holidays.

If you are moving from the U.S. you will ALSO need to provide a completed Form SSA-21 (PDF 148K), Supplement To Claim Of Person Outside The United States, (click HERE to download a PDF of SSA-21) – all questions must be answered and legible. 

Important: If you are also reporting a change of address, please go to the Requesting or Reporting a Change of Direct Deposit for Benefits.