You may contact us in a variety of ways but the most efficient way is by using our online form.
The Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) provides services for six federal benefits programs outside the U.S. The largest program is the Social Security Administration. The FBU provides assistance to over 14,000 beneficiaries throughout Spain and 4 other countries.
The Federal Benefits Unit is unable to answer inquiries related to taxes, visas, U.S passports or other non-federal benefit issues. Please see the Embassy U.S. Citizen Services and Visas pages for assistance in contacting the correct department.
Frequently Asked Questions
- For general inquiries see: Contacting the Madrid Federal Benefits Unit
- Social Security Numbers (Related: Proof of Residence Outside The United States)
- Reporting a Change of Address
- Reporting a Death
- Starting or Changing a Direct Deposit
- Filing for Benefits or Medicare
- mySocialSecurity online services
- Services provided by the Madrid Federal Benefits Unit
- Social Security Statements
- Foreign Enforcement Questionnaire (Forms SSA-7161 or SSA-7162) and Foreign Enforcement Suspensions
- For a list of websites please see the “Additional Resources” box on the right.