All applicants applying for the first time as adults (age 16 above) must apply in person. If your current passport is a 10-year validity passport, you are NOT applying for the first time as an adult, and you should renew by mail. Please click here for instructions.
This service requires an appointment:
Schedule an appointment for passport renewal at Embassy Madrid
Schedule an appointment for passport renewal at Consulate General Barcelona
At the time of your application, please bring the following:
- Fill out electronically and print form DS-11 Application for a U.S. passport. Do not sign the form. Applicants 16 years old and above will be allowed to sign on their own passport application before a Consular Officer under oath. Special Requirements: Minors age 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves. However, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the minor to identify him/her and to show parental awareness. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST LIST YOUR U.S. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ON THE APPLICATION.
- Submit your previous passport. The passport (duly cancelled) will be returned to you together with the new U.S. passport.
- One 2”x2” (5x5cm) passport picture. Full face looking forward, no plastic photos accepted, taken within the last 6 months with a white background, and no smile. You must remove your eye glasses, sunglasses, hats, hair bands or anything on your head. There is a photo booth inside the premises of the Embassy/Consulate General and the fee is €5.00. Use 5 Euro bill or the equivalent in 1 and 2 Euros coins. You may also pay with a credit card.
- Pay applicable passport fee of $145.00 (U.S. dollars, Euros, or credit card).
- Return of Passports: For the Madrid and Barcelona Consular District: See the options of how we can return your passport to you.