All applicants applying for the first time as adults (age 16 above) must apply in person. If your current passport is a 10-year validity passport, you are NOT applying for the first time as an adult, and you should renew by mail. Please click here for instructions.
This service requires an appointment:
Schedule an appointment for passport renewal at Embassy Madrid
Schedule an appointment for passport renewal at Consulate General Barcelona
At the time of your application, please bring the following:
- Fill out electronically and print form DS-11 Application for a U.S. passport. Do not sign the form. Applicants 16 years old and above will be allowed to sign on their own passport application before a Consular Officer under oath.Special Requirements: Minors age 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves. However, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the minor to identify him/her and to show parental awareness. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST LIST YOUR U.S. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ON THE APPLICATION.
- Submit your previous passport. The passport (duly cancelled) will be returned to you together with the new U.S. passport.
- One 2”x2” (5x5cm) passport picture. Full face looking forward, no plastic photos accepted, taken within the last 6 months with a white background, and no smile. You must remove your eye glasses, sunglasses, hats, hair bands or anything on your head. There is a photo booth inside the premises of the Embassy/Consulate General and the fee is €5.00. Use 5 Euro bill or the equivalent in 1 and 2 Euros coins. You may also pay with a credit card.
- Pay applicable passport fee of $145.00 (U.S. dollars, Euros, or credit card).
- Return of Passports: For the Madrid Consular District: See the options of how we can return your passport to you.
For the Barcelona Consular District: Passport can be returned to the mailing address listed on your application by Spanish certified mail at no extra cost. If necessary, we can make arrangements for you to pick it up in person at the Consulate.