To process a passport renewal by mail you will need to mail the following documents to either U.S. Embassy Madrid or Consulate General Barcelona:
U.S. Embassy Madrid
U.S. Embassy Madrid
Calle Serrano 75
U.S. Consulate General Barcelona
U.S. Consulate General
Paseo Reina Elisenda, 23
DO NOT MAIL YOUR APPLICATION TO THE UNITED STATES!
Important note: United States citizens residing outside the U.S. or Canada CANNOT submit this form to the U.S. addresses listed on page 2 of the application form.
- Passport application form DS-82: This form is completed online, not handwritten (print one-sided pages only, bar code appearing in upper left-hand corner). Please be sure to complete all fields and include your contact telephone number, Social Security number and emergency contact. Make sure that you sign and date the form.If you have questions regarding the form, please contact the Consular Section for assistance at AskACS@state.gov if you are in the Madrid consular district or to BarcelonaACS@state.gov if you are in the Barcelona consular district. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST LIST YOUR U.S. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ON THE APPLICATION.
- One 2”x2” (2×2 inches – 5×5 cm) color photograph: Full face looking forward, no plastic photos accepted, taken within the last 6 months with a light, plain background, size as shown above, and no smile. You may not wear eyeglasses, sunglasses, hats, hair bands or anything on your head.
- Submit your most recent passport: Upon issuance of your new passport, we will cancel your old passport in accordance with State Department regulations and return it to you.
- Payment of fee:
Cashier’s check (cheque bancario):
– Issued within the last 15 days by a bank in Spain in the EXACT amount of €94.00*
– For both a passport book and a passport card, the fee is 120€*
– Payable to “Embajada de los Estados Unidos”.
– Personal checks are not accepted.
– Please note your bank may charge you an additional fee for this service.
– Please note that the fee and the name (“Embajada de los Estados Unidos”) on the check must be exact or the application and fee will be returned to you by MRW messenger service at your expense. You will have to pay the messenger service when your application is returned.
* We recommend checking the fee on this web page on the day you have the check prepared/sent to avoid any problems with exchange rate changes.
- Self-addressed envelope where you want your passport to be delivered by the messenger company. Please include a Spanish cell phone number also on that envelope in case you are not home to receive your passport.
- Processing Time and Return of Passports:
Processing time for a full validity (10 years for adult applicants) U.S. passport is approximately 3 weeks from the day we receive your application. For both the passport book and card, processing time is longer. Please allow approximately 5-6 weeks. Please click on options for passport returns from Madrid and Barcelona.