First Time Applicants

First time applicants (adults) must appear in person and present both photo identification and proof of U.S. citizenship, including U.S. Birth Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and Naturalization Certificate.  The following websites provide you with the information on how to request a copy of those documents.

Where to write for vital records

How to request a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

How to obtain a copy of the Naturalization Certificate

You will need to fill out the Form DS-11 “Application for a U.S. Passport”. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST LIST YOUR U.S. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ON THE APPLICATION.

Do not sign this form.  You will sign in the presence of a Consular Officer under oath.

Additional evidence may be required depending on the circumstances of the original case.

If the applicant was born in the U.S., he/she must present the passport used to depart the U.S. and to enter Spain, if not the same.


Federal law establishes a fee for issuance of a passport, payable in U.S. dollars, Euro or credit card.  Please see the applicable fees.


One 2”x2” (5x5cm) passport picture.  Full face looking forward, no plastic photos accepted, taken within the last 6 months with a white background, and no smile.  You must remove your eye glasses, sunglasses, hats, hair bands or anything on your head.  There is a photo booth inside the premises of the Embassy/Consulate General and the fee is €5.00.  Use 5 Euro bill or the equivalent in 1 and 2 Euros coins. You may also pay with a credit card.

An appointment is required for this service.

Schedule an appointment for passport renewal at Embassy Madrid
Schedule an appointment for passport renewal at Consulate General Barcelona

Return of Passports

See the options of how we can return your passport to you.

If you need assistance, please send us an email at: if you are in the Madrid Consular District. if you are in the Barcelona Consular District.