Adult Passport Renewals

Adult passport renewals are done by mail. You will need to mail the following documents to either U.S. Embassy Madrid or Consulate General Barcelona:

U.S. Embassy Madrid
U.S. Embassy Madrid
Calle Serrano 75
28006 Madrid

U.S. Consulate General Barcelona
U.S. Consulate General
Paseo Reina Elisenda, 23
08034 Barcelona

Important note: United States citizens residing outside the U.S. or Canada CANNOT submit this form to the U.S. addresses listed on page 2 of the application form.

Adult passport renewals MUST be done by mail using form DS-82. You are eligible to use form DS-82 if your previous passport:

  • Is a 10-year validity passport (issued after the age of 16).
  • Was issued in the last 15 years.
  • Was issued in the same name you currently use, or if your name was changed recently, you can present the proper documentation as proof of the name change (Certified True Copies of marriage documents or court order).
  • Is not damaged.
  • Is submitted with your application.

If you can answer “yes” to all the previous statements, you must use form DS-82 (U.S. passport renewal Application for Eligible Individuals) and you are required to click here for instructions on renewing your passport by mail. To avoid unnecessary delays, please follow these instructions carefully, including instructions for fee payment. Please note that applicants eligible to use the DS-82 form and the mail-in renewal service should NOT be scheduling in-person appointments.

If you answered “NO” to any of the above questions, please click here for instructions; your application will be on the DS-11 form and therefore the same process as “first-time applicants.”