Information for Travelers

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

To assist the traveling public, the Bureau of Consular Affairs and the U.S. Embassy issue Consular Specific Information, Travel Warnings, Public Announcements, and Warden Messages concerning conditions in countries where Americans may be planning to visit or reside.

Traveling to Spain or Andorra


American citizens can enter Spain or Andorra visa-free for periods of up to three months if the purpose of the visit is tourism or business.

Andorra is not part of the Schengen area.  Andorra is landlocked, and does not have an airport; therefore, all visitors to Andorra must enter via Andorra’s border with either Spain or France. Visit the Embassy of the Principality of Andorra website for the most current visa information.

Spanish government regulations may require a return or on-going ticket or proof of funds. Should an American citizen wish to remain longer than ninety days, you will be required to obtain an extension of stay from Spanish immigration authorities.  This extension, of no more than ninety days, must be requested at a police station at least three weeks before the initial entry period expires.  It is only granted under exceptional circumstances.

Check the expiration date on your passport carefully before traveling to Europe.  Entry into any of the 26 European countries in the Schengen area for short-term tourism, a business trip, or in transit to a non-Schengen destination, requires that your passport be valid for at least three months beyond your intended date of departure.  If your passport does not meet the Schengen requirements, you may be refused boarding by the airline at your point of origin or while transferring planes.  You could also be denied entry when you arrive in the Schengen area.  For this reason, we recommend that your passport have at least six months’ validity remaining whenever you travel abroad.  For more information, please see the State Department’s Schengen FAQ page.

Should you be considering a stay in Spain longer than three months, you should inquire with the Spanish Embassy or Consulate near your place of residence outside of Spain prior to entry, or check the Spanish Ministry of Interior’s website.

Residency and Work Permits

American citizens wanting to study, reside, or work in Spain must obtain the appropriate visa from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in their state/country of last residence.  After the visa has been issued, foreigners have three months to apply for the corresponding permit with the Spanish authorities in Spain.  Obtaining a residence or work permit is a complicated process; since regulations change continually, we suggest that you check the Ministry of Interior’s website, or call the Ministry of Interior, within Spain, toll-free at 060.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also manages a website which provides information for foreigners who want to visit Spain.

Visitors to Andorra must enter via Andorra’s border with either Spain or France. Visit the Embassy of the Principality of Andorra website for the most current visa information.

Driving in Spain/Andorra

 U.S. citizens wishing to drive while in Spain or Andorra must obtain an international driving permit prior to their arrival.  An international driving permit (IDP) translates your state-issued driver’s license into 10 languages so you can show it to officials in foreign countries to help them interpret your driver’s license.  The IDP is not valid by itself and must be carried with your original driver’s license.  Click the following link for more information on driving overseas.

U.S. citizens who are residents of Spain must obtain a valid Spanish driver’s license.  At this time, there is no agreement between the United States and Spain for the validation of a U.S. driver’s license; therefore, holders of a U.S. license must attend a Spanish driving school and take the Spanish exam.  You can find more information on the Spanish Traffic Authority website.

You can use a European driver’s license to drive in Andorra.  So, if you obtain a Spanish driver’s license, you can use it to drive in Andorra.

Carrying Medicines?

We understand that Spanish authorities allow foreign prescription medications to enter Spain if they are for personal use (this means that the quantity of product transported covers the amount of time that the traveler will stay in Spain and it is not intended for sale), the traveler carries them with his/her luggage and, if asked by Spanish Customs officials, presents the doctor’s prescription (the original prescription should be accompanied by a translated version into Spanish).

As a general rule, Spanish authorities do not allow private citizens to import prescription medications into Spain if shipped separately.  So, make sure the medicines are part of your luggage and that you bring your doctors’ prescription.

However, as this is entirely a Spanish government function, if you wish to double check all this general information and specific details regarding the medicines you mention with the Spanish authorities.