Claiming U.S. Citizenship

If you have been issued any of the following documents, you may immediately begin your application for your first U.S. passport.  If you are no longer in possession of any of these documents, you must obtain a certified copy from the issuing authority.

  • A U.S. Birth Certificate – for certified copies, please contact the state in which you were born.  The National Center for Health Statistics maintains a list of states’ contact information for this purpose;

Once you are in possession of one of the listed documents, please see our instructions for applying for your first U.S. passport.

If you were born outside the United States, have not been previously documented as a U.S. citizen, and are:

  • Under the age of 18: please see our instructions for obtaining a Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  • Over the age of 18: you should review the information concerning transmission requirements to see if your parent(s) had the prerequisite physical presence in the United States required by U.S. citizenship law in effect at that time.  If, based on this information, you believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please click here and follow the instructions provided.

Please click here for applicable fees.