Children Born in Spain and Andorra to U.S. Parents

Children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent may have a claim to U.S. citizenship.  To see whether your child qualifies for U.S. citizenship, please see our “Transmission Requirements” section.

Parents of children who may have a claim to U.S. citizenship can apply for the child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and U.S. passport, at the U.S. Embassy, U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona, or any of the five U.S. Consular Agencies in Spain.  We strongly recommend that you report the birth of your child be to the Department of State as soon as possible after the child’s birth.  It is not possible to obtain a CRBA for a child over the age of 18.  Even if your child holds nationality of a country other than the U.S., if your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship, he or she must use a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States.

The following information will assist you in determining whether your child is a U.S. citizen and will list the steps you are required to take to obtain your child’s CRBA and passport.  Please make sure that you also follow the instructions on our Documenting American Citizens page for instructions on how to apply for your child’s passport.

You must make an online appointment for your child’s CRBA and passport.

Scheduling an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth at Embassy Madrid

Scheduling an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth at Consulate General Barcelona