An official website of the United States government

Travel Information
April 7, 2022

There are regulations and restrictions on taking animals and/or agricultural products to the United States. Please take the time to learn the correct procedures.

The USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) protects the health of U.S. plants and animals from potential, non-territorial infectious incursions. It is also responsible to control imported plants, animals, and their products. For more information please visit their Website at USDA’s APHIS.

Do you need to know more about other customs procedures? Please contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Website.

Can I take my pet with me to the United States?

For updated information on traveling with pets to the United States, please visit “Bringing Pets and Wildlife into the United States” at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

Important Notice

Temporary Suspension on the Importation of Dogs
On June 14, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released a Notice of Temporary Suspension of Dogs Entering the United States from High-Risk Rabies Countries suspending the importation of dogs from countries classified by the CDC as high risk for dog rabies AND countries that are NOT at high risk if the dogs have been in high-risk countries during the previous 6 months. Eligible individuals can apply for a CDC Dog Import Permit. For more information, please contact CDC or U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

How do I send parcels containing food gifts through international mail?

If you plan to send a food article by international mail, you must request and receive prior approval from the FDA. The parcel must be accompanied by FDA confirmation. There are some exemptions that can be found here.

More information on U.S. Customs & Border Protection website.

What about taking food with me to the U.S.?

U.S. Department of Agriculture regulations prohibit travelers from bringing fresh, dried, and canned meats and meat products from most foreign countries. If any meat is used in preparing a product, you should not attempt to bring it with you.

Imported foods are also subject to FDA requirements and may be seized upon inspection if, in the opinion of the FDA, they pose a health risk of any kind. Please check Bringing Food into the U.S. at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for additional information.

How do I import alcohol for my personal use?

Please visit “Requirements for importing alcohol for personal use” website for all the details.