An official website of the United States government

Students, Exchange Visitor & Sponsored Exchange Visitor Visas

  • Student visas: For information on how to apply for a student visa, please read this handout (PDF 300K) or watch this video.
  • Government Sponsored Exchange Visitor Visas: U.S. government-funded exchange visitors and their spouses and/or children applying for J visas are exempt from the visa application fee if they are participating in a Department of State, a U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), or federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (such as the Fulbright program). The program number on the DS-2019 form must begin with the prefix G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7.  To schedule a visa appointment, fill out the form on our contact us page.
  • Summer Work Travel, Camp Counselor, Au Pair, Interns, Trainees, Scholars, and other special programs: Please visit the Bridge USA website for more information on these special visa types.