An official website of the United States government

Important Citizen Services Information

Payment Methods & Details

We accept U.S. dollars (or equivalent in Euros) and major credit cards. Payment by personal checks and travelers’ checks is not accepted.

Appointments & Locations

Other Information

There is no walk-in service for United States citizens who require a service related to citizenship.  These services are by appointment only:

Schedule an appointment for citizenship services at Embassy Madrid

Schedule an appointment for citizenship services at Consulate General Barcelona

Once you are in possession of one of the listed documents, please see our instructions for applying for your first U.S. passport.

If you were born outside the United States, have not been previously documented as a U.S. citizen, and are:

  • Under the age of 18: please see our instructions for obtaining a Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  • Over the age of 18: you should review the information concerning transmission requirements to see if your parent(s) had the prerequisite physical presence in the United States required by U.S. citizenship law in effect at that time. If, based on this information, you believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please click here and follow the instructions provided.

Please click here for applicable fees.

Children Born in Spain and Andorra to U.S Parents

Children born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent may have a claim to U.S. citizenship.  To see whether your child qualifies for U.S. citizenship, please see our “Transmission Requirements” section.

Parents of children who may have a claim to U.S. citizenship can apply for the child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and U.S. passport, at the U.S. Embassy, U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona, or any of the five U.S. Consular Agencies in Spain.  We strongly recommend that you report the birth of your child be to the Department of State as soon as possible after the child’s birth.  It is not possible to obtain a CRBA for a child over the age of 18.  Even if your child holds nationality of a country other than the U.S., if your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship, he or she must use a valid U.S. passport to enter and exit the United States.

The following information will assist you in determining whether your child is a U.S. citizen and will list the steps you are required to take to obtain your child’s CRBA and passport.  Please make sure that you also follow the instructions on our Documenting American Citizens page for instructions on how to apply for your child’s passport.

You must make an online appointment for your child’s CRBA and passport.

Scheduling an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth at Embassy Madrid

Scheduling an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth at Consulate General Barcelona

  1. Dual Nationality
  2. Request Copies of Previous Reports

Guide to Completing Form DS-2029 Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) of a Citizen of the United States of America

Enter the name of the child as it is recorded on the local birth record. The name of the applicant on the CRBA and first-time passport should always match their birth document(s).

Marriage status of parents:  List all marriages prior to the birth of the child or prior to the marriage of the child’s parents, whichever is appropriate.

Precise Periods of Physical Presence: The U.S. citizen parent must write actual physical presence in the United States prior to child’s birth in exact detail.  Documentary evidence of the claimed physical presence is required (see Transmission Requirements section). The non U.S. citizen parent may leave it blank.  This section needs to be completed accurately by writing the month/day/year.

Section B – To be completed when the U.S. citizen father is not married to the child’s mother. Complete section but do not sign until you are in front of the Consular Officer.

Section B Continued – Do not complete. We will prepare this section for the Consular Officer’s signature.


  • The presence of the child and the US citizen parent/parents is required at the time of the application. Both parents and the child are required if you want to apply for the US passport in the same appointment.
  • Complete forms DS-2029 (PDF 65K) accurately but do not sign and DS-11 if you want to apply for the US passport at the same time.
  • Child’s Spanish Birth Certificate (literal long-form). Submit original plus two copies. Please provide an informal translation if the document is not in English.
  • Marriage certificate, if applicable, submit original plus one copy. Please provide an informal translation if the document is not in English.
  • Divorce Decree, if applicable, submit original plus one copy. Please provide an informal translation if the document is not in English.
  • Evidence U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence*. Submit original documents.
  • Return of CRBA. Options for the Madrid Consular District.

* Commonly submitted documents include school and university transcripts, medical records, military records, employment records, and tax returns.  Please note that we cannot determine whether you have met the physical presence requirement prior to your interview with the consular officer.  Every person’s case will be obviously be different, so please bring whatever documents or evidence necessary to clearly establish that the transmitting U.S. citizen parent meets the required time of physical presence.

Translation of Birth Certificate (PDF 80K)


Renounce U.S. Citizenship

Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration.

It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality.

If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take, including arranging an appointment to come into the Embassy/Consulate General to sign the various documents required to formally renounce to your U.S. citizenship.

Remember that expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).

Renunciations cannot be booked as a regular appointment.  Please contact the Consular Section at MadridACS@state.gov in Madrid or barcelonaacs@state.gov in Barcelona to book an appointment and receive information explaining the renunciation process.  Renunciations require two separate interviews.

Reasonable Accomodation

If you need reasonable accommodation for your appointment, we encourage you to request your accommodation immediately once you schedule your appointment. We make every effort to provide accommodations to persons with disabilities and medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations vary, depending on the situation and the person’s needs.

Examples of accommodations include, but are not limited to:

    • If you require a private appointment due to a medical condition or disability, we may schedule an alternative time for you to come in for your interview.
    • If you or your child has special needs that requires a private appointment in a quiet space without distractions, we may schedule an alternative time for you or your family to come in for your interview.
    • If you are unable to speak, you may be allowed to respond to questions in an agreed-upon nonverbal manner such as using pen and paper.
    • If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may bring a sign language interpreter to translate during the interview if needed. (Hearing impaired applicants can contact the Community of Madrid for sign language interpretation services.)
    • If you have low vision, we may provide you with communications in large print.
    • If you are unable to provide fingerprints because of a medical condition, including birth defects, physical deformities, skin conditions, you may qualify for a fingerprint waiver for certain fingers.
    • Interview waivers are only granted in extreme situations, such as having a medical condition that requires flying in an air ambulance.

The waiting room of the Consular Section is wheelchair-accessible.

Please contact us at madridacs@state.gov for more information or to request reasonable accommodation.