The U.S. Embassy in Madrid and the U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona inform U.S. citizens that demonstrations related to the political situation in Catalonia are expected to continue to take place in Barcelona, Madrid, and in other locations across Spain in the coming days and weeks. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of a demonstration.
U.S. citizens traveling or residing in affected areas, including Barcelona, should expect possible disruptions to public transportation and other services. We encourage U.S. citizens to check for updates at the following Twitter accounts of local authorities: Mossos d’Esquadra, Guardia Civil, Spanish National Police, Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona, Guardia Urbana de Barcelona, Rodalies Catalunya, Emergencies Catalunya, Catalan Transit Services.
For further information about security in Spain, including our most recent Security Messages:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Spain’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Madrid, located at Calle de Serrano, 75, via email at AskACS@state.gov or by phone at + (34) 91-587-2200, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is the same: + (34) 91-587-2200
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona, located at Paseo Reina Elisenda, in the neighborhood of Sarria at + (34) 93-280-2227, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, or via email at BarcelonaACS@state.gov. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is + (34) 91-587-2200.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.