Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Demonstrations Regarding Catalan Political Situation
The U.S. Embassy in Madrid and the U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona inform U.S. citizens that demonstrations related to the evolving political situation in Catalonia are expected to continue in the coming days and weeks, beginning the evening of October 17.
U.S. citizens should be aware of the increased police presence throughout the region, and keep in mind that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings.
U.S. citizens traveling or residing in affected areas, including Barcelona, should expect possible disruptions to public transportation and other We encourage U.S. citizens to check for updates at the following Twitter accounts of local authorities: Mossos d’Esquadra, Guardia Civil, Spanish National Police, Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona, Guardia Urbana de Barcelona, Rodalies Catalunya, Emergencies Catalunya, Catalan Transit Services.
For further information about security in Spain, including our most recent Security Messages:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Spain’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the S. Embassy in Madrid, located at Calle de Serrano, 75, via email at AskACS@state.gov or by phone at + (34) 91-587-2200, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is the same: + (34) 91-587-2200
- Contact the S. Consulate General in Barcelona, located at Paseo Reina Elisenda, in the neighborhood of Sarria at + (34) 93-280-2227, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, or via email at BarcelonaACS@state.gov. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is + (34) 91-587-2200.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.