Security Alert – U.S. Mission Spain (17 December 2020)
Location: Spain, countrywide
Event: During the holiday season, security measures in Spain remain heightened due to ongoing threats posed by transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by violent extremist ideology. Violent extremists continue to focus on locations such as holiday markets, shopping malls, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, and other soft targets frequented by tourists.
The Spanish government has announced increased security measures from December 15-January 9, which include additional random searches of people and vehicles and increased police presence.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance at holiday festivals and events, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Carry your passport or a copy of the biographical page of your passport with you.
- Know that calling 112 on your phone in Spain is the equivalent of the United State’s 911 number in case of an emergency.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
If you would like to unsubscribe from these messages please send an email to MadridUnsubscribe@state.gov.