Demonstration Alert – December 20, 2018
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Event: Several demonstrations are expected to take place in Barcelona on December 20 and 21, 2018, regarding Catalonia’s political situation. U.S. citizens should expect disruptions to traffic flows and public transportation. Additional demonstrations may occur at other locations throughout Catalonia. Please see our Demonstrations in Spain webpage for more information.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity.
Local media has published additional information about the expected locations of the protests.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website: https://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html
View updates on Twitter and Facebook from the Spanish National Police @policia, Guardia Civil @guardiacivil, Mossos D’Esquadra @mossos, and Guardia Urbana @barcelona_GUB
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.