The U.S. government remains concerned that terrorists are intent on targeting U.S. citizens, including children. Terrorists may employ a variety of tactics, such as violent assaults and kidnappings. In the past they have used knives, guns, and vehicles as ramming devices. They may target schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, transportation hubs, and other public venues.
Actions to take:
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations and transportation hubs.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Keep a low profile.
- Know how to use the local phone system. The equivalent of “911” in the U.S. is 112 in Spain. There is always an English-speaker on duty.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security update