Event: A large demonstration is expected tomorrow, October 26 at 5pm at Carrer de la Marina. Another is planned for October 27 from 12pm-230pm at the intersection of Passeig de Gracia and Carrer Provença. Other spontaneous demonstrations may occur this weekend and many have recently taken place in front of government offices. U.S. citizens should expect public transportation disruptions in the area.
Similar demonstrations last week turned violent. Dozens of injuries occurred and arrests were made. There is a potential for further clashes during these demonstrations.
U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the areas of demonstrations. Please see our Demonstrations in Spain webpage for more information as well as the resources below.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Consider alternative means of transportation.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
The Barcelona tourism office has set up a telephone line for tourists that are seeking information on what public services that may be affected by the situation: +34 93 285 3834. For the latest information on potential travel disruptions, visit https://twitter.com/emergenciescat; English translation is available.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website:
Airport and flight information : http://www.aena.es/en/passengers/passengers.html
Public Transportation information: https://www.tmb.cat/en/barcelona-transport/service-metro-bus.
Also, view updates on Twitter, Facebook and Official Websites from the Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police), Barcelona City Police, Spanish National Police and Guardia Civil:
- Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police)
- Barcelona City Police
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.