Embassy of the United States of America
Consulate General of the United States of America
Security Alert – October 14, 2019
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Event: Demonstration activity continues to disrupt services and transportation around Barcelona’s El Prat airport. Roads leading to the airport in some cases have been blocked and some flights have been canceled. There have been clashes between demonstrators and law enforcement.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Contact your airline for fight status if traveling to or from Barcelona.
- Consider alternative means of transportation.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
Please see our Demonstrations in Spain webpage for more information.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website: https://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html
Airport information is available here: http://www.aena.es/en/passengers/passengers.html
Also, view updates on Twitter, Facebook and Official Websites from the Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police), Barcelona City Police, Spanish National Police and Guardia Civil:
- Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police)
- Barcelona City Police
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.