Event: Effective December 27, 2021, the application fee to apply for a U.S. passport will increase by $20.
Due to an increase in the security surcharge component of the passport application, the fee for obtaining a U.S. passport will increase by $20 effective December 27, 2021. Plan accordingly if you will be applying for a U.S. passport after that date.
The Department of State generally sets consular fees at an amount calculated to recover the costs to the U.S. government of providing the consular service. This fee change reflects steady increases in passport security-related costs since the fee was last updated.
Effective December 27, 2021, the passport application fee worldwide will be as follows:
- First time adult or adult passport replacement: $165
- Adult passport renewal: $130
- Minor passports (under age 16): $135
Actions to Take:
- Visit the Passport Fees page at state.gov for the most up-to-date information.
- Use the Fee Calculator to find out how much your passport application will cost.
- Review the U.S. Passport Services in Spain information on the U.S. Embassy website.
- All U.S. citizens should enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Refer to our website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country InformationUS Citizens
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- To unsubscribe, please email us at MadridUnsubscribe@state.gov