An official website of the United States government

Lost or Stolen Passports

If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, you are required to apply for a new passport in person, by making an appointment at the Embassy in Madrid or Consulate in Barcelona, or contacting your nearest Consular agency.

If you have urgent travel plans and need to replace your passport immediately, you may walk-in to the Embassy in Madrid or the Consulate General in Barcelona during the following hours, except on U.S. or local holidays (PDF 160K).

For Madrid: 8:00 am to 11:00 am, Monday thru Friday. Emergency passports will be printed in 24 hours and will be ready for pick up the next day between 8:00 am and 11:00 am.

For Barcelona: 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Systems permitting, emergency passports will be available between 03:00 and 04:00 pm the next working day.

Regulations prohibit us from issuing replacement passports after hours.

Police Report:

A police report is not mandatory but can help confirm the circumstances of the loss or theft.  We encourage you to report the loss or theft of your U.S. passport to the local police in the country where the loss or theft occurred. However, don’t spend time obtaining a police report if doing so will cause you to miss a flight or delay your travel unreasonably.

Proof of Identity and Citizenship

If possible, provide evidence of both identity and citizenship, such as copy of your U.S. passport, driver’s license, etc.


Fill out the forms in advance will make your wait time significantly shorter.

Application for a U.S. passport DS-11Do not sign this form. You will sign in the presence of a Consular Officer under oath. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST LIST YOUR U.S. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ON THE APPLICATION.

Statement of Loss DS-64. Print legibly. Use black ink.


Federal law establishes a fee for issuance of a passport.  Please see the applicable fees.


One 2”x2” (5x5cm) passport picture.  Full face looking forward, no plastic photos accepted, taken within the last 6 months with a white background, and no smile.  You must remove your eye glasses, sunglasses, hats, hair bands or anything on your head.  There is a photo booth inside the premises of the Embassy/Consulate General and the fee is €8.00 in Madrid and €5.00 in Barcelona. Use 5 Euro bill or the equivalent in 1 and 2 Euros coins. You may also pay with a credit card.


Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport application. If both parents/guardians cannot appear in person, then the applying parent must provide evidence of sole custody.

 Evidence of sole custody:

  • Court order granting sole legal custody and ‘patria potestis’ (patria potestad) to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order).
  • A court order specifically permitting the applying parent to apply for the child’s passport
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent
  • Death certificate of the non-applying parent

If one parent is located outside of the consular district at the time of application:

The applying parent must obtain a notarized written Statement of Consent, Form DS-3053, from the non-applying parent authorizing passport issuance to the child.

The form can be downloaded here (PDF 52K).

A photocopy of the front and back of the identification presented to the notary is required with the form.

This form is only valid for 90 days.

How to get money from the U.S.: Money transfer procedure

Damaged Passports

If your current passport has been damaged beyond normal “wear and tear”*, you will need to replace it by submitting the following in person:

  • The damaged passport;
  • A signed statement explaining the damaged or mutilated condition of your passport book and/or card;
  • Form DS-11; and
  • All documents required by Form DS-11, including citizenship documentation (i.e., birth certificate).

Please make an appointment at the Embassy in Madrid or Consulate in Barcelona, or by contacting your nearest Consular agency.

U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident Cards  (“Green Cards”)

The U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona does not issue replacement “green cards” or boarding foils. To replace a lost or stolen permanent resident card, please see the U.S. Embassy in Madrid’s information.