Health Alert – Update on Specific measures implemented in the Madrid region in response to an increase in COVID-19 cases. – U.S. Embassy Madrid, U.S. Consulate General Barcelona (29 July 2020)
Location: Spain – Level 4: Do Not Travel
Event: Due to the increase in COVID-19 cases in the Madrid Autonomous Community, the regional government has approved specific measures to contain the spread of the virus, which will become effective on July 30.
Use of masks covering from the chin to the top of the nose is mandatory in all public spaces, even when social distancing measures can be respected. Masks may not have exhalation valves. Exceptions include eating and drinking and practicing sports. Additionally, masks are not required when in nature or rural areas outside of population centers if at least 1.5m of physical distance can be maintained.
Meetings of more than ten people are not allowed in public spaces and are not recommended in private homes.
Bars, restaurants, and nightlife venues will close at 1:00am, and may require you to provide your personal data and contact information for COVID-19 contact tracing purposes.
For more information, you may read the official regulations here.
Actions to Take:
- Review our COVID-19 information page and our Health Alerts for more information on the services we are providing and travel options to the United States.
- Continue to monitor our website and remain enrolled in STEP for updates on our operating status and to receive other important information for U.S. citizens in Spain.
- For information about Spanish immigration requirements, see our May 21 Health Alert.
- Click here for information for travel within the European Schengen zone.
- For information about travel to the United States for individuals who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. LPRs, see the Embassy’s visa webpage and ESTA webpage.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
To unsubscribe, please email us at MadridUsubsribe@state.gov