February 26, 2020
Event: The Spanish Ministry of Health reports that it is currently testing some suspected cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) spread among Tenerife (Canary Islands), Madrid, Catalonia, and Valencia. Affected individuals are in isolation, following Spanish medical protocols. These are in addition to the two cases that were previously confirmed earlier this month.
Actions to Take:
- Call 061 (if you are in Spain) for medical assistance/questions concerning COVID-19 in Spain.
- Consult the Spanish Health Ministry and CDC website for updates.
- Review the Department of State’s COVID-19 Travel Alert.
- Check with your hotel, airline, other service provider regarding cancellations related to COVID-19.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
If you would like to unsubscribe from these messages please send an email to askACS@state.gov.