Health Alert – Limited Flight Options to Return to the United States – U.S. Embassy Madrid, U.S. Consulate General Barcelona (3 April. 2020)
Location: Spain – Level 4: Do Not Travel
Event: Flight options from Spain to the United States – even through third countries – are increasingly scarce. U.S. citizens in Spain who wish to return to the United States should make commercial flight arrangements now or be prepared to remain in Spain for an indefinite period. Consider booking flights that transit Paris or London. The U.S. government has no plans to arrange repatriation flights from Spain at this time.
U.S. citizens who are residents of Spain and/or have access to long-term accommodation and the financial means to remain in Spain for an extended period should consider deferring travel at this time. Be sure to join the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at https://step.state.gov/ to receive the latest information for U.S. citizens in Spain.
Actions to Take:
- Call Spanish emergency numbers 112 and 061 right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms). For a list of local COVID-19 emergency numbers, please visit this website.
- Follow the instructions of Spanish authorities. Not doing so could result in fines or arrest.
- For more information, see our COVID-19 page.
- Visit the Spanish Ministry of Health website (click here for general information in English).
- Consult the CDC website.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov.
- For questions about extending your stay in Spain, see: http://prensa.mitramiss.gob.es/WebPrensa/noticias/inmigracionemigracion/detalle/3751.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
To unsubscribe, email MadridUsubscribe@state.gov