Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Madrid, U.S. Consulate General Barcelona (27 March 2020)
Location: Spain – Level 4: Do Not Travel
Event: We are operating with reduced staffing and reduced office hours across Spain, in line with the Spanish government’s directive to limit movement within the country to contain the spread of COVID-19.
U.S. Embassy Madrid and U.S. Consulate General Barcelona are providing emergency services only to U.S. citizens. The five consular agencies are providing emergency services to U.S. citizens only by email and phone. Until further notice, the agencies will not provide in-person service.
U.S. citizens in Spain who require assistance should email the Embassy at askACS@state.gov or the Consulate General in Barcelona at BarcelonaACS@state.gov before going to either location in person. Please wear gloves and a mask if you have an appointment for in-person service at the Embassy or Consulate General. The Embassy’s in-person service hours are Wednesday and Friday from 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. The Consulate General’s in-person service hours are Monday through Friday from 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM.
Actions to Take:
- In a life-or-death emergency, please call 112.
- If you need immediate assistance related to an emergency situation, such as a death or hospitalization, or if you have been a victim of serious crime, call the Embassy at +34-91-587-2200.
- Call Spanish emergency numbers 112 and 061 right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms). For a list of local COVID-19 emergency numbers, please visit this website.
- Follow instructions of Spanish authorities. Not doing so could result in arrest and potential fines.
- Visit the Spanish Ministry of Health website for updated information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Spain.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
To unsubscribe, email MadridUsubscribe@state.gov.