Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Madrid, U.S. Consulate General Barcelona (20 March 2020)
Location: Spain – Level 4: Do Not Travel
Event: On March 20, the Government of Spain ordered the closure of all hotels, hostels, and similar establishments before March 26. The U.S. government cannot provide housing to U.S. citizens in Spain.
Options to return to the United States from Spain using commercial carriers, via direct flights or flights with layovers in third countries, are extremely limited but remain available. We cannot predict how long commercial flights will remain available. U.S. citizens who wish to depart Spain should do so now.
The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
Actions to Take:
- Follow instructions of Spanish authorities. Not doing so could result in arrest and potential fines.
- Visit the Spanish Ministry of Health website for updated information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Spain.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Work with your airline, travel provider, or hotel/lodging directly regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Call Spanish emergency numbers 112 and 061 right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks. For a list of local COVID-19 emergency numbers, please visit this website.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
If you would like to unsubscribe from these messages please send an email to askACS@state.gov.