Health Alert – New Spanish Government Requirement: Use of Masks in Public Spaces – U.S. Embassy Madrid, U.S. Consulate General Barcelona (20 May 2020)
Location: Spain – Level 4: Do Not Travel
Event: A new order (in Spanish) from the Ministry of Health requires that face masks be used by everyone age six or older in enclosed spaces and public areas where it is impossible to maintain six feet of social distance. The order recommends but does not require mask use by children between age three and five. Those individuals who are engaged in activities that make mask use problematic or those with a medical condition where mask use is contraindicated are excepted from the requirement.
Actions to Take:
-Call Spanish emergency numbers 112 and 061 right away if you believe you may have COVID-19. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes that people are reporting a wide range of COVID-19 symptoms. For a list of local COVID-19 emergency numbers, please visit this website.
-Follow the instructions of local authorities. Not doing so could result in fines or arrest.
-Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Spain.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- To unsubscribe, please email us at MadridUsubsribe@state.gov