Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Madrid, U.S. Consulate General Barcelona (31 March 2020)
Location: Spain – Level 4: Do Not Travel
Event: The majority of hotels and other accommodation across Spain closed March 27. Late March 30, the Government of Spain released an updated list of accommodations allowed to remain open under the State of Alarm in effect through April 11. The list, broken down by region, is available at: https://boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-2020-4194
We cannot provide housing to U.S. citizens at the Embassy in Madrid or the Consulate General in Barcelona. The Spanish military bases in Rota and Moron cannot accommodate U.S. citizens, including former U.S. military members.
U.S. citizens who live in the United States and wish to return should work with commercial airlines to book flights to the United States immediately. There are no direct flights from Spain to the United States. Transit options in Europe are limited from Spain; consider flights that transit Paris or London.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless you are prepared to remain in Spain for an indefinite period.
- U.S. citizens who are residents of Spain, and/or have access to long-term accommodation and the financial means to remain here, should consider deferring travel at this time.
- Work directly with your hotel or rental provider to extend your stay if you plan to remain in Spain.
- Call Spanish emergency numbers 112 and 061 right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms). For a list of local COVID-19 emergency numbers, please visit this website.
- Follow instructions of Spanish authorities. Not doing so could result in arrest and potential fines.
- Visit the Spanish Ministry of Health website for updated information (click here for general information in English).
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Spain.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
To unsubscribe, email MadridUsubscribe@state.gov.