An official website of the United States government

Emergency Financial Assistance

Emergency Financial Assistance

U.S. consular officers, in certain situations, can assist U.S. citizens abroad who are temporarily destitute because of unforeseen circumstances. U.S. citizens in Spain or Andorra who find themselves in these circumstances should contact the nearest embassy or consulate, or the U.S. Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services.

Consular officers can help destitute U.S. citizens, contact their family, bank, or employer to arrange for transfer of funds.

Fund transfers from the U.S. are typically straightforward .  Most people can arrange for family or friends to send them money through commercial channels with the help of a collect phone call.  Funds sent through services such as Western Union are the fastest and easiest. Although there is a mechanism for transferring funds through the Department of State, it is slower and more complex than through commercial channels in a country like Spain or Andorra.

Sending Money to Destitute Citizens Overseas.

Emergency Contact

U.S. Embassy Madrid
(+34) 91 587 2200

Barcelona Consulate General
(+34) 93-280-2227

U.S. Department of State Office of Overseas Citizens Services in the United States:

From the U.S. & Canada:
(+1) 888-407-4747

From Overseas (+1) 202-501-4444