PROMOTING GIRLS IN STEAM FIELDS:
Expanding the Technovation Challenge Network in Spain and Andorra
The U.S. Embassy in Madrid and the U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona are collaborating with Technovation Spain, a program of the U.S. non-profit Iridescent to expand the Technovation Challenge in Spain and Andorra.
Technovation is Iridescent’s flagship program, and the world’s largest global tech entrepreneurship competition for girls. The program offers girls around the world the opportunity to learn the necessary skills to emerge as tech entrepreneurs and leaders. Every year, Technovation challenges 10 to 18 year old girls to build a business plan and mobile app that will address a community problem.
Since 2009, over 15,000 girls have participated from over 100 countries.
Nationally, Technovation Spain is supported by non-profit organizations including Espiral Educación y Tecnología, Power to Code, and corporations such as Accenture, Cisco, HP, and Flexbot.
The Goal: Expanding the Technovation Challenge Network in Spain and Andorra
In 2018 we would like to see over 400 young women complete the program in Spain and Andorra, and we are seeking key contacts interested in becoming Technovation Challenge Club Leads within their regions. More specifically, we are looking for women mentors who are community leaders with a passion for innovation and technology.
Technovation Club Leaders will play an integral role in the expansion of Technovation to thousands of girls, teachers, and mentors. With their support, we will level the gender gap in technology and build a generation of women entrepreneurs who are passionate about bettering the world around them!
The expected commitment:
Club Leads would be responsible for:
- Building and coordinating their local Technovation movement. A Club Lead may be a teacher, technology industry professional, parent, or anyone who is passionate about inspiring girls to see their potential. To be most effective, a Club Lead must be organized as well as willing and able to dedicate significant hours to supporting local Technovation teams.
- Managing the program: Club Leads are directly in touch with teams and mentors and should facilitate smooth relationships to ensure a fulfilling experience for all.
- Reaching out to local schools and organizations within their community to recruit five-seven Technovation teams in their city.
- Reaching out to local companies to recruit mentors.
- Hosting workshops and hack days if necessary.
***Each Club Lead should strive to recruit 5 to 7 teams in their cities. Each team could have up to 5 girls.
Technovation Timeline for 2018 Season
- Saturday, October 28th: Info Session on Technovation Challenge for girls, parents, mentors and volunteers
- Saturday, December 2nd: Info Session. Open to the Public. Presentation of Technovation Challenge in Spain with Katie Morton, Partnerships Manager at Iridescent
- January 10, 2018: Official Season Launch
- April 25, 2018: Submission Deadline for registered teams
What Technovation will provide:
- Updated Technovation Curriculum: The Curriculum will support girls in all regions in generating an idea, developing an app, building a business plan and delivering a compelling pitch.
- Training: Technovation will provide an E-book with details of the program timeline, best practices, guidelines for facilitating the curriculum, and recruitment strategies.
- Virtual Support-Club Leads can join our online community of mentors and professionals to ask for advice, share challenges/success stories and ideas for running the program. .
- Technovation Promotional Materials: Technovation will provide promotional materials to assist with community outreach. This includes fliers and brochures, email templates and certificates of completion.
- World Pitch and Visiting Team support: Technovation will organize travel, local logistics, field trips for World Pitch finalist teams in the summer of 2018. Technovation will cover the travel, lodging and meals for ONLY the finalist teams.
If you are interested in becoming a Technovation Challenge Club Lead please fill out this form.