Experience the U.S. in Spain

There is a large number of Academic Year Abroad programs of American Universities in Spain. Most of them are associated to APUNE (Association of American University Programs in Spain).

Validation grants official validity in Spain to foreign university degrees, which will have the same effects as the Spanish degrees to which they are validated, in the whole national territory.

For the validation of a U.S. degree to the Spanish system, application must be made to the Spanish Ministry of Education:

Oficina de Información y Atención al Ciudadano
Ministerio de Educación
Los Madrazo, 15
28071 Madrid
Tel.: 902 21 85 00 – 91 701 80 00 (Switchboard)
Fax: 91 701 86 48
Web page

The Ministry will ask for the Hague Apostille on your diploma, which has to be requested from the Secretary of State of the state in the U.S. where the university bestowing the degree is located.  These are the steps for obtaining the Hague Apostille:

  1. Transcripts must be notarized by a notary public of the county where the University is located.  Many U.S. universities have a notary public on campus.
  2. The notarized documents must be taken to a local Clerk of the Court to have the notary’s credentials certified.  This step is not required if the Office of the Secretary of State recognizes the notary’s authority.
  3. The notarized transcript and the diploma must be submitted to the Office of the Secretary of State, along with a request for the Hague Apostille.The addresses of the Secretaries of State can be found at the National Association of Secretaries of State’s web page,Documents submitted for authentication must be original documents, not copies.
  4. Once the Apostille is obtained, the documents must be submitted to the Spanish Ministry of Education.These steps have to be followed in the state where the studies were undertaken.  Unfortunately, there is no direct role that the Embassy can play in this process.

The Spanish Ministry of Education will also ask you to submit an official translation of all your documentation.  For matters related to official translations and to obtain an updated list of sworn translators licensed by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs to practice in Spain, please contact:

Oficina de Interpretación de Lenguas
Secretaría General Técnica
Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y de Cooperación
Plaza de la Provincia, 1
28071 Madrid
Tel.: 91 379 16 21 / 22
Fax: 91 366 86 99
Web page