Event: During the Easter holiday weekend and continuing through the general elections on April 28, 2019, there will be an increased police presence in public areas and at public events throughout Spain. As noted in the Travel Advisory dated March 18, 2019, terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Spain. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions, airports, and other public areas.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance at holiday festivals and events, places of worship, and locations with large crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in theSmart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.