Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Madrid (November 9, 2023)
Event: There is a demonstration scheduled on Paseo de la Castellana 46 on November 9, 2023, at 7:00 PM. U.S. citizens should avoid this area, and the area surrounding the U.S. Embassy, located on Calle Serrano 75. Additional demonstrations may occur at other locations throughout Spain.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
The U.S. Embassy is currently closed in observance of a local Spanish holiday today, November 9, 2023. However, the Embassy is functioning under normal operations and will be open to the public for consular services as normal when it reopens on Monday, November 13.
U.S. citizens are advised to exercise caution and monitor local news and government websites for detailed information on this situation.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website: https://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html
View updates on Twitter and Facebook from the Spanish National Police @policia, Guardia Civil @guardiacivil, Mossos D’Esquadra @mossos, and Guardia Urbana @barcelona_GUB
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
To unsubscribe, please email us at MadridUnsubscribe@state.gov.