Location: Madrid, Spain
Event: Several demonstrations are expected to take place throughout Madrid from Friday, October 15 to Friday, October 22, including a demonstration around Plaza de Jacinto Benevento and Plaza de Tirso de Molina on the evening of Saturday, October 16. This demonstration could grow larger than expected and cause a significant disruption in that area and the surrounding neighborhood.
U.S. government personnel have been advised to avoid the areas surrounding this demonstration.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Please see our Demonstrations in Spain webpage for more information.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website: https://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html
- Also, view updates on Twitter, Facebook and Official Websites from the Spanish National Police and Guardia Civil:
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.