Location: Cities throughout Spain
Event: Demonstrations are scheduled to take place in several cities throughout Spain over the next several days in response to the arrest of rapper Pablo Hasel. Please monitor news media to see if a demonstration is happening in an area near you. Exercise caution in the vicinity of these events as even peaceful protests have the potential to turn violent without any warning.
U.S. citizens and government personnel are advised to avoid these areas during the demonstrations. Please see our Demonstrations in Spain webpage for more general information.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website: https://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html
- Also, view updates on Twitter, Facebook and Official Websites from the Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police), Barcelona City Police, Spanish National Police and Guardia Civil:
Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police)
Barcelona City Police
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
To unsubscribe, please email us at MadridUnsubscribe@state.gov