Location: Barcelona, Spain
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place in Barcelona today, March 26, 2018, and may occur there and in other areas of Spain over the next few days. U.S. citizens are reminded to exercise caution in the vicinity of large gatherings. Even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without warning.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following:
- Spanish National Police , Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police) and Barcelona City Police
View updates on Twitter and Facebook from the Spanish National Police,
@policia, Guardia Civil @guardiacivil and Mossos D’Esquadra @mossos.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.