Location: Madrid, Spain
Event: On Sunday, April 8, 2018, a demonstration is expected to take place outside the U.S. Embassy in Madrid. The demonstration is expected to begin at 12:00 p.m. and is expected to last two hours. Approximately 100 demonstrators are expected to participate. The demonstration has been called to highlight the death of Jose Couso, who was killed in Iraq in 2003. U.S. citizens are reminded to avoid large demonstrations and exercise caution when in the vicinity of large gatherings. Even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without warning.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following:
View updates on Twitter and Facebook from the Spanish National Police, @policia, and Guardia Civil @guardiacivil.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.