Event: Large demonstrations by the “Gilets Jaunes” (yellow vests) and other political activist groups are expected in advance of and during the G-7 Summit in Biarritz, France on August 24-26. Demonstrations could turn violent. A large police presence is expected in the region and travelers could experience significant delays crossing the French-Spanish border.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language media in Spain and France at the following:
- Spanish National Police
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.