Location: Barcelona, Spain
Event: Several demonstrations are expected to take place in Barcelona and at other locations throughout Catalonia on Catalonia’s national day, September 11, 2020. U.S. citizens should expect traffic and public transportation disruptions throughout the day in downtown Barcelona. Demonstrations in the region in the recent past have become violent. Please see our Demonstrations in Spain webpage for more information.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website: https://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html
- Also, view updates on Twitter, Facebook and Official Websites from the Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police), Barcelona City Police, Spanish National Police and Guardia Civil:
Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police)
Barcelona City Police
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- To unsubscribe, please email us at MadridUnsubscribe@state.gov