Location: Barcelona, Spain
Event: Significant demonstration activity in Catalonia is expected this week in response to the verdict in the trial of 12 pro-independence Catalan leaders. There are demonstrations anticipated in Barcelona, Lleida, Tarragona, Girona and other towns in the region. Most demonstrations are planned around Spanish government offices, including a large gathering on October 15th at 7pm at the Delegacion del Gobierno, Carrer Mallorca 278, in Barcelona.
Some recent demonstrations have led to clashes between law enforcement and protesters and disrupted public transportation, including rail lines and road access to the Barcelona airport.
Please see our Demonstrations in Spain webpage for more information.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Consider alternate means of transportation.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website: https://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html
Airport information : http://www.aena.es/en/passengers/passengers.html
Also, view updates on Twitter, Facebook and Official Websites from the Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police), Barcelona City Police, Spanish National Police and Guardia Civil:
- Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police)
- Barcelona City Police
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.