Embassy of the United States of America
Consulate General of the United States of America
Demonstration Alert – February 21
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Event: Several strikes and demonstrations are expected to take place in Barcelona on February 21, 2019, regarding Catalonia’s political situation. U.S. citizens should expect disruptions to traffic flows and public transportation. Additional demonstrations may occur at other locations throughout Catalonia. Please see our Demonstrations in Spainwebpage for more information.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
· Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
· Monitor local media for updates
· Be aware of your surroundings
· Keep a low profile
· Notify friends and family of your safety
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website:
View updates from the Spanish National Police, Guardia Civil, Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police) and Guardia Urbana (Barcelona City Police) on
Or visit their websites:
· U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
· U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.