Location: Barcelona, Spain
Event: Several groups have announced demonstrations around the “Clasico” soccer match between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid CF today, December 18, 2019. The demonstrations will likely begin at 4:00pm in the vicinity of Camp Nou, the FC Barcelona stadium.
A large police presence is expected outside of the stadium. These demonstrations present the potential for violence between radical groups for and against the Catalan independence movement. Demonstrations this autumn led to clashes between law enforcement, protesters, and counter-protesters.
Please see our Demonstrations in Spain webpage for more information.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website:
Also, view updates on Twitter, Facebook and Official Websites from the Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police), Barcelona City Police, Spanish National Police and Guardia Civil:
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.