Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Madrid (November 18, 2023)
Event: There is a demonstration scheduled to take place in front of the U.S. Embassy in Madrid on November 18, 2023, from 12:00 pm to 2:30 pm. U.S. citizens should avoid this area, and the area surrounding the U.S. Embassy, located on Calle Serrano 75. Additional demonstrations may occur at other locations throughout Spain.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas near the Embassy between 10:00 am and 4:30 pm
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your whereabouts and safety
U.S. citizens are advised to exercise caution and monitor local news and government websites for detailed information on this situation.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website: https://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html
View updates on Twitter and Facebook from the Spanish National Police @policia, Guardia Civil @guardiacivil,
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
To unsubscribe, please email us at MadridUnsubscribe@state.gov.