Location: Barcelona, Spain
Event: Several demonstrations are expected to take place on Catalonia’s national day, September 11, 2019. The largest is expected between 4pm and 9pm, beginning at Gran via de les Cortes Catalanes and ending at Plaza Espanya. U.S. citizens should expect traffic and public transportation disruptions throughout the day in downtown Barcelona. Additional demonstrations at other locations in Catalonia may also occur. Please see our Demonstrations in Spain webpage for more information.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website: https://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html
Also, view updates on Twitter, Facebook and Official Websites from the Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police), Barcelona City Police, Spanish National Police and Guardia Civil:
- Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police)
- Barcelona City Police
- S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.