Location: Barcelona, Spain
Event: Several demonstrations are expected to take place on Catalonia’s national day, September 11, 2018, beginning at 10:00am, regarding Catalonia’s political situation. Additional demonstrations at other locations in Catalonia may also occur. Please see our Demonstrations in Spain webpage for more information.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
- U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following website: https://elpais.com/elpais/inenglish.html
- Also, view updates on Twitter, Facebook and Official Websites from the Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police), Barcelona City Police, Spanish National Police and Guardia Civil:
Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police)
Barcelona City Police
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.