Location: Barcelona and Madrid, Spain
Event: Taxi demonstrations and strikes have disrupted traffic in downtown Barcelona, around Barcelona El-Prat airport, and Barajas airport and Atocha train station in Madrid. U.S. citizens should expect potential traffic disruptions in the area and are reminded to exercise caution in the vicinity of large gatherings. Even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without warning.
Taxi associations have called for continuing strikes in Barcelona and Madrid. U.S. citizens should be prepared to use alternative forms of transportation, including public transportation.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following:
View updates on Twitter and Facebook from the Spanish National Police, @policia, Guardia Civil @guardiacivil and Mossos D’Esquadra @mossos.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.