Location: Barcelona, Spain
Event: Demonstration on July 25th beginning at 11:00am until approximately 2:30pm. The demonstration is led by various taxi unions and will begin at the Arco de Triunfo to proceed along Calle Mallorca to the Delegacion de Gobierno. U.S. citizens should expect potential traffic disruptions in the area and are reminded to exercise caution in the vicinity of large gatherings. Even peaceful demonstrations have the potential to turn violent without warning.
Taxi associations have also called for a strike from 6am on July 25th until 6pm, July 27th. U.S. citizens should be prepared to use alternative forms of transportation, including public transportation.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Spanish media at the following:
- Spanish National Police, Mossos d’Esquadra (Regional Police) and Barcelona City Police
View updates on Twitter and Facebook from the Spanish National Police, @policia, Guardia Civil @guardiacivil and Mossos D’Esquadra @mossos.
- U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain
- U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Spain Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.